275,000 children served annually
437,000 books distributed annually
5,000 medical providers trained to date
200 program sites in all 5 boroughs of NYC, Long Island, and the Hudson Valley.
Reach Out and Read gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatric care and encouraging families to read aloud together. In the Greater New York region, we provide new, age-appropriate books and literacy guidance to over a quarter of a million children in New York City, Long Island, and the Hudson Valley.
The role of Reach Out and Read of Greater New York is to:
- Recruit and train new member Reach Out and Read program sites in the region.
- Encourage partnerships with local corporations, foundations, and community organizations to sponsor Reach Out and Read of Greater New York activities.
- Obtain funding and other resources, including book donations, to assist Reach Out and Read program sites with becoming self-sustaining.
- Provide volunteer opportunities.
- Collaborate with other community-based literacy programs to promote interest and awareness about the importance of early exposure to books that reading can bring.
- Participate in collaborative research on the effects of early pediatric literacy intervention.
To view our FY15 annual report click here.