275,000 children served annually
437,000 books distributed annually
5,000 medical providers trained to date
200 program sites in all 5 boroughs of NYC, Long Island, and the Hudson Valley.
Reach Out and Read prepares America’s youngest children to succeed in school by partnering with doctors to prescribe books and encourage families to read together. In the Greater New York region, we provide new, age-appropriate books and literacy guidance to over a quarter of a million children in New York City, Long Island, and the Hudson Valley.
The role of Reach Out and Read of Greater New York is to:
- Recruit and train new member Reach Out and Read program sites in the region.
- Encourage partnerships with local corporations, foundations, and community organizations to sponsor Reach Out and Read of Greater New York activities.
- Obtain funding and other resources, including book donations, to assist Reach Out and Read program sites with becoming self-sustaining.
- Provide volunteer opportunities.
- Collaborate with other community-based literacy programs to promote interest and awareness about the importance of early exposure to books that reading can bring.
- Participate in collaborative research on the effects of early pediatric literacy intervention.
To view our FY15 annual report click here.